Wednesday 27 June 2012

Plans.

It has been nearly 19 years since I was born.It has been roughly a decade since I began making plans.

Specifically,in the initial half of the decade,these were the good plans.The easy ones.To go to a friend's house,play a game,watch a movie,eat some dish.They were easy to follow through.They had the property of wholeness.Either you did them or you didn't.Simple.

Then as the years passed I became more responsible.I had to.As a kid my mum used to teach me.I always got excellent grades.Really excellent.Like too good,I tell you.Then I took charge.In class 8th , I rebelled and got to study on my own.It's been 5 years since I started planning my own schedule and accordingly executing it.

I haven't really been bothered about how good the execution step of the schedule was.As I recall,my plans used to be grand,optimized,Utopian in nature.They still pretty much are.I would be the world's most well balanced and diligent worker, focused,determined and motivated.Of course this used to be the planning stage.The execution stage saw a lazy,non-serious,immature,unfocused,uncontrolled,irritable me.The adjectives really are too less to properly describe me but let me carry on anyway.

Lately,however I have been concerned about my productivity.It is too bad.I barely do 20% of the work I am supposed to do.The plans are still grand,the vision still visionary,the dreams still enough to conquer the world.However this time there is a difference.The patience wears thin.I have had too many failed plans,too many unfulfilled plans,a lot of unfinished ones.Too many things I thought I would do,too few done,far too many lying in dusty recesses of my mind,many simply forgotten.

I have tried to narrow done the reasons for my dismal record in following my plans.The ones I am sure are the main culprits are-lack of self-discipline,frequent mood swings,procrastination,stress etc etc.
The whole philosophy I am following seems too me now useless.Its good to be be hopeful,good to imagine,good to be a dreamer.But only up to a point.And now I plainly believe being theoretical is just bad.Its far more critical to be practical.So as you might have figured by now,the new philosophy I'm following is Pragmatism.

Google Dictionary defines Pragmatism as "Dealing with things sensibly and realistically in a way that is based on practical rather than theoretical considerations"
Yes,perfect.Suits me just well.

So basically there are three things I have decided on.
One >>  Don't make plans.If you do,start their execution within next 5 minutes.Otherwise peace maar yaar.Why to waste uselessly your precious mental resources.This blog post is the first result of this plan.I got the idea while taking a bath 5 minutes ago,and here it is.I am writing about,doing something  about it.It doesn't matter how good it s.It doesn't need to be perfect.Just go ahead and do it.Stop being a perfectionist.It is better to be very good instead.Satisfy yourself with it.Seriously,trying too hard is one of the reason I tend to be slow at doing things.Get over it.Move fast,act swift.

Two >>  Focus on the present.There is no better future.Nopes,nothing there.All that is there is here,right now.Stop dreaming,start living in the present.Don't analyze the past too critically,don't make castles in the air for the future.They haven't materialized in the past.They wouldn't in the future.Get over it. If you think you are going to do something tomorrow,do it now.Tomorrow would be just like today,you would postpone it again.Believe me,you would.  

Three >> Do anything and everything with utmost concentration.Just think you don't have a say in deciding what is important or not.If you are doing something,if you are devoting time to it you might as well do with your full focus and concentration.Too many times,it has happened I haven't paid full attention to the thing at the time and had to come back to it multiple times to sort it out.I read somewhere-
"I have found the shortcut to success,it involves doing everything all right the first time around.".I have to agree with it,this makes so much sense,now I look at it.

There are so much more I would like to write,but that's for now.No promises,no plans.Otherwise I will have to follow up in 5 minutes.The problem with us is we think too much,but do too less(Thats point no 4 ;)
Still if you like,here are some links I would recommend :-

" I realize that my life will not start five years from now, and that this is *it*, as good as it gets."




No comments:

Post a Comment